FREE CONSULTATION 314-722-5247 314-722-5247

TPS and Aliens on F-1/B-I or any other Non-Immigrant Status

TPS and Aliens on F-1/B-I or any other Non-Immigrant Status

TPS and Aliens on F-1/B-I or any other Non-Immigrant Status: According to the recent USCIS guidelines on joint F-1/TPS Status, a person with F-1, B-2, or any other non-immigrant status may apply for and receive TPS. The individual can continue to hold both statuses, as long as he or she remains eligible for both. For example, if an F-1 (student) applies for and obtains TPS, but he or she continues to abide by all of the F-1 eligibility requirements, he/she can continue to maintain F-1 status and simultaneously hold TPS. Any individual who applies for and is granted TPS must continue to comply with the separate eligibility requirements of all other statuses (e.g., F-1, H-1B) that he or she seeks to maintain.

In furtherance if an alien on any non-immigrant status from Yemen wants to apply for TPS, he has to be eligible for both. To be eligible for TPS, applicants must demonstrate that they satisfy all eligibility criteria, including that they have been both “continuously physically present” and “continuously residing” in the United States since September 3, 2015. Applicants also undergo thorough security checks. Moreover, individuals with certain criminal records or who pose a threat to national security are not eligible for TPS.

It is up to the individual to know and understand the requirements of all statuses he/she holds or is seeking to obtain and/or maintain. Receiving TPS or a TPS-related EAD does not alter any rules limiting employment for certain non-immigrants, such as F-1 students or B-2 visitors. Before someone holding both nonimmigrant status and TPS chooses to work using a TPS-related EAD, he or she should carefully consider whether that employment could violate the terms of the nonimmigrant status, potentially resulting in violation of the nonimmigrant status. Students who are experiencing severe economic hardship as a result of unforeseen circumstances may follow the usual process to request off-campus employment authorization due to the hardship by filing an I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.  F-1 students who are considering working on a TPS related EAD may want to talk with their Designated School Official (DSO) and/or an immigration attorney to discuss how employment could affect their F-1 status.